Friday, January 14, 2011

Can't win'em all

Thanks "American Idol" for inspiring me.

No, I don't have any ambitions to audition for the show - though I can probably belt it out like the rest of them. I was reminded of the fact that sometimes the runner-ups find brighter glory.

I've been on pins and needles all week waiting on some important news - to see if I was one of three finalists chosen for MTV's College Affordability Challenge. I got an email last week asking for a conference call, as I was "under consideration" to be part of the lucky trio. From there, the public would pick the best idea of the group, allowing the winner to get a $10,000 scholarship and the opportunity to see his or her idea come to life.

During the conference call I was asked questions about my inspiration, about my own financial aid experiences and how my model for a better financial aid process - one that would lure the vast population of American students - would be different from what's already out there. I was a little nervous on the phone - I'm better with in-person interviews, but I did well. The rest was in God's hands.

Today, I got an email saying that the decision was tough, but I wasn't one of the final three.

Sigh.

But still, I was told how "excellent" my idea was. And that mine - chosen out of more than 200 entries - had made it into the top five. That's a pretty big deal in of itself - quite resume worthy.

There were just three entries that fit the judges criteria more - and they'll get to fly to D.C. next week. In hindsight, I probably should have made my idea a bit more unique as I initially wanted to integrate my idea with an existing platform. My thinking was that it would cost less money and be a win-win for all - a new and improved social media model with all the bells and whistles.

Oh well. God must know what he is doing.

I wish the finalists, whoever they are, much success.

Now, back to my "American Idol" musings. Not winning isn't so bad (at least after the initially sadness-in-the-bottom-of-your-soul-feeling goes away). It just motivates those who come so close to work that much harder, to prove themselves that much more because they know they have what it takes to be in the winner's shoes.

People love underdogs.

For me, it's been so encouraging to come so close to winning something so big because it proves I have a great mind to employ awesome ideas.

That alone will take me far in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment