Saturday, November 13, 2010

Attraction of the day

I was on my way to lunch today when I saw A CAR ON FIRE! In a church parking lot!

Flames and black smoke poured out of the car, which was parked nice and neat in one of the vacant spaces in front of the church.

As I drove by slowly, I did a double and triple take. I couldn't figure out if I should stop or not. Maybe it wasn't real. Just for show, you know. Maybe it was part of a church message like: You'll burn in hell for ... for ... just 'cause. 

Okay, maybe it wasn't a church message. What church burns cars for fun?

What really happened to make a car go up in smoke?

As I drove by, I saw a man, woman and child stand on the other side of the church, peering around the corner at the car in flames. Maybe it was theirs. They kept their distance. I was surprised no one was yelling. It was the calmest car-on-fire scene ever. Even Hollywood couldn't have reproduced it better. A few cars pulled into the church lot. For a second, I had to remind myself that I wasn't a reporter anymore and that I didn't have to call an editor.

But should I stop?

With three cars pulling into the lot, I decided to keep on going. To not get involved. Yet, something pulled at me as I drove off. I felt like a bad citizen. If that were me standing there and my car was on fire, I'd want people to stop. I drove on for about a quarter of a mile. At a traffic light, I contemplated turning around. That's when I heard the sirens of a firetruck. All would be well.

Hmmm . . . Okay, so maybe not so well - somebody is out of a car - but at least the fire was put out.

No comments:

Post a Comment